* Visitor entry to resume on Dec 23
* Hayya Card holders can enter from Nov 1 to Dec 23, and can stay in Qatar until Jan 23 next year
* Hayya Card allows multiple entries
* Those overstaying will face legal procedures
Entry of visitors to Qatar will be suspended from November 1, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) has announced, adding that visitor entry will resume on December 23.Last updated: September 21 2022 10:23 PM
The ministry also said Hayya Card holders can enter Qatar from November 1 until December 23, and can stay in the country until January 23, 2023.
The announcement came during a press conference organised by the MoI to announce the procedures and controls for entry and exit to and from Qatar through the country's air, land and marine borders, during the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
The director of Public Relations at the ministry and head of the Media Unit at the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Security and Safety Operations Committee, Brigadier Abdullah Khalifa al-Muftah, and executive director at the Office of the Commander of the Tournament Security Operations, Lt-Col Jassem al-Sayed, spoke to the press.
“Entry of visitors to Qatar will be suspended effective from November 1, 2022, and their entry will resume starting from December 23, 2022,” said Brig al-Muftah.
Exempted from this decision are Qatari citizens, residents and GCC citizens holding a Qatari ID card; holders of personal recruitment visas and work entry permits; and humanitarian cases, based on approval obtained through an electronic platform.
"Holders of Hayya Card will be allowed to enter the country starting from November 1, 2022, until December 23, 2022, and they can stay in the country until January 23, 2023," the official said.
Brig al-Muftah said the measures are being taken as part of the competent authorities' efforts to ensure easy and secure entry and exit to and from the country's entry ports during the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, according to the official Qatar News Agency.
He pointed out that the MoI calls on all individuals to abide by the laws and regulations issued in this regard, and not to violate in order to ensure the success of Qatar's organisation and hosting of this upcoming football event.
It was explained that if a Hayya Card holder does not leave the country after January 23, 2023, s/he will be subject to legal proceedings.
During the Q&A session, it was emphasised that services pertaining to citizens and residents will not be affected by these procedures. This is because holders of personal recruitment visas, such as domestic workers and drivers, as well as holders of work and entry permits are excluded from these procedures, thus enabling them to enter the country and complete their procedures.
Regarding humanitarian cases excluded from the entry and exit procedures during the tournament, the officials clarified that an electronic platform will be launched in this regard and approval has to be obtained from there. The humanitarian cases in question include death, sickness and others.
Moreover, it was confirmed that the Hayya Card allows multiple entries/exits to and from Qatar, and also provides the holder with a number of advantages that have been previously announced.